EnvironmentMaroondah

Council Investigates Southern Rocycling Noise Complaints

By January 14, 20066 Comments

I am pleased to report that Maroondah Council is continuing to monitor the noise levels from Southern Rocycling and has requested that loud operations cease between the hours of 9pm and 6am.

The Health Act of 1958 under Part III allows councils to investigate nuisances which are, or are liable to be, dangerous to health or offensive (s39A) which means instances which are noxious, annoying or injurious to personal comfort (s40).

Maroondah Council has used the Health Act of 1958 to ensure that the amenity for Heatherdale Road and other Ringwood residents is not severely affected by the operations of Southern Recycling.

I would to thank everyone who contacted me about this issue, please do not hesitate in contacting me again if there are further concerns regarding Southern Rocycling.

Alex Makin

Alex Makin

Alex Makin is a councillor for the Mullum Ward in the City of Maroondah. Alex has been a councillor since 2005, representing ratepayers, businesses, community groups and residents. I aim to continue making a difference and welcome any thoughts you may have in regard to life, community and business in Maroondah. Phone: (03) 9870 8202 or 0408 311 645 Email: alex@alexmakin.com.au

6 Comments

• Brad Houghton says:

The noise from Southern Recycling continues to be an issue. It is currently almost 11pm at night on 11/10/2007 and the noise is as if it is coming from across the street. I live in New Street Ringwood and this is a regular occurence on a Friday Night. Do they have a licence to operate at those noise levels at those hours? and if so I would think those levels would not be allowable in any Environmental Management Plan the facility should have.

Further, Who should I direct my Complaints to?

Regards,
    Brad

• Alex Makin says:

Brad,

Thank you for your comments and for raising the ongoing noise issues caused by Southern Rocycling. I agree that it certainly remains an issue and Council is pursuing further legal action over noise that has occurred.

Southern Rocycling will be in the Ringwood Magistrates Court on Tuesday the 16th of October against charges brought forward by Maroondah City Council due to noise issues.

Due to the current State Government Planning Provisions there are no prohibitions on Southern Rocycling’s hours of operation, but they are certainly not allowed to operate with excessive noise volumes.

Complaints should be directed to Maroondah City Council and I have sent via email a logsheet which will allow you to document the noise that is occurring. These logsheets are used to provide evidence against Southern Rocycling and may be used in future court action.

It would also be worth contacting Elwynne Kift from the Heatherdale Community Action Group (HCAG). HCAG was formed to protect the amenity of the Heatherdale area and are well aware of Southern Rocycling.

Also, please feel free to contact myself either via email (alex.makin@maroondah.vic.gov.au) or 0408 311 645. Please do let me know when you have completed the logsheet so that I can forward it through Council.

I hope this helps and please do let me know when the noise occurs.

Thanks,

Alex

• Jayden says:

I do not agree with the people complaining about the noise coming from southern rocycling if it is so bad then why would they move right across the street of a factory that they were already aware of the amount of noise that would come from the factory it’s common for factories to make noise’ ‘GET OVER IT’.

• Alex Makin says:

Jayden,

Thank you for your comments and for visiting my website.

Residents are aware that there is an industrial area, but likewise the operators need to be aware that they are near a residential area.

While the community is willing to accept some volume of noise, it is unreasonable for people to woken up at night due to excessive noise volumes. The EPA has recently found CMA to be in breach of acceptable noise limits during daytimes as well as night.

The fact that the EPA is now involved demonstrates that there is a legitimate concern and one which does need to be pursued.

As the Councillor that represents the Maroondah side of Heatherdale Road I will ensure that residents are able to experience an acceptable level of amenity, where residents and industry can cooperate and co-exist.

Thanks,

Alex

• Richard says:

Young Jayden should get his grammer correct first! Unfortunately we live across the road FROM a factory not OF a factory. We have lived here long before your lot moved in.It actally used to be a nursery. Just wondering,whats the view from your porch? I bet you dont have a scrap metal mountain to look at!

• Alex Makin says:

Richard,

Thank you for your comments and for visiting my website.

Council recently issued infringements notices in regard to both piles of scrap metal, the pile facing Heatherdale Road and the pile at the rear of the site.

These notices were issued due to CMA Recycling violating the amenity of the area. In regard to noise violations, CMA Recycling is required to present an action plan with appropriate abatement measures to the EPA by the 30th of September 2008.

Thanks once again for your comments, I can assure you that Maroondah will continue to act to preserve the amenity of Heatherdale and surrounding areas.

Thanks,