The Eastern Transport Coalition represents over one million residents across Melbourne’s seven outer eastern councils. One of the priorities for this group is to demonstrate the widespread community support for public transport improvements.
One of the major initiatives is the launch of a ‘monster petition’ to demonstrate this community support and to call on the State Government to improve public transport within the eastern suburbs.
The petition, which will be launched next week, will seek a commitment from the Government for the following:
- A full and public feasibility study for a heavy rail line to Rowville,
- A full and public feasibility study for a heavy rail line to Doncaster,
- A greater commitment to the extension of the Metro rail tunnel from Domain to Caulfield,
- A full and public feasibility study for an increase in capacity on the Belgrave/Lilydale and Glen Waverley lines,
- Improved facilities for passengers, particularly at interchanges located in central activity districts – Ringwood, Dandenong and Box Hill,
- Fully accessible public transport facilities and vehicles
These six improvements will deliver the necessary infrastructure for Melbourne’s outer east and mitigate rising traffic congestion, as well as improve the accessibility and sustainability of our communities.
The monster petition will be rotated between the member councils and will be present at Maroondah City Council during the month of November.