Today the City of Maroondah in conjunction with the Ringwood Historical Society launched the Borough of Ringwood Historical Marker at its new location at the Council Chambers at Braeside Avenue.
The marker was formerly located at Heatherdale Road and identified the entrance into the former Borough of Ringwood.
The Borough of Ringwood was proclaimed in October 1924 after successful a community campaign for severance from the then Shire of Lillydale. Ringwood was previously represented through the Shire’s South-West Riding and as the population increased it became increasingly apparent that the interests of Ringwood were not being significantly advanced while it remained part of Lillydale Shire.
Suburban expansion, which progressed rapidly throughout the 1950s, led to the proclamation of the City of Ringwood in 1960. Ringwood was later merged with the City of Croydon and parts of other municipalities in 1994 to form the City of Maroondah.
The Borough of Ringwood historical marker represents the civic history of Ringwood and the transformation from orchards and antinomy mining to the rise of suburban expansion.
For more information on the history of Ringwood please visit the Ringwood Historical Society at www.rhs.org.au.