The Eastern Transport Coalition consists of Melbourne’s seven outer eastern and launched a petition last year to collectively call on the State Government to provide public transport improvements across Melbourne’s eastern region. The petition was recently presented to Martin Pakula, as the Minster for Public Transport and calls on all political parties to commit to the following:
- A full and public feasibility study for a heavy rail line to Rowville,
- A full and public feasibility study for a heavy rail line to Doncaster
- A greater commitment to the extension of the Metro rail tunnel from Domain to Caulfield,
- A full and public feasibility study for an increase in capacity on the Belgrave/Lilydale and Glen Waverley lines,
- Improed facilities for passengers, particularly at interchanges located in central activity districts – Ringwood, Dandenong and Box Hill,
- Fully accessible public transport facilities and vehicles
The Maroondah Leader has reported on the presentation of the petition, including its request for the redevelopment of Ringwood Station:
Maroondah Mayor Alex Makin said the minister’s acceptance of the petition acknowledged the gravity of the requests, including the redevelopment of the Ringwood railway station.
The Eastern Transport recognises the importance of the redevelopment of Ringwood Station into an integrated, accessible and safe transport interchange that will benefit not only Maroondah but Melbourne’s entire eastern region and it is imperative that all political recognise the importance of this project.