Maroondah’s Picnic in the Park is a council initiated program designed to reconnect residents with their nearby parks and reserves.
McAlpin Reserve, accessible from Wonga Road and Tortice Drive in Ringwood North, is one of Ringwood North’s largest reserves and includes a variety of play equipment and walking trails.
McAlpin Reserve recently received upgraded play equipment catering to a mixture of ages and further landscaping works, including additional shelter will be completed shortly.
The sunshine combined with a council barbecue helped attract a large number of attendees and it was great to see all of the Mullum Ward Councillors in attendance.
McAlpin Reserve, was named after the McAlpin family. James McAlpin moved to Ringwood in 1895 with his wife and three sons and started an orchard covering both sides of the road.
James McAlpin’s oldest son, James Bell McAlpin was heavily involved in local affairs, including the Ringwood Horticultural Society and started a real estate firm in 1907. James Bell McAlpin was elected onto the Shire of Lillydale in 1908 representing Ringwood the south-west riding until he chose not to stand for re-election in 1917.
James Bell McAlpin campaigned for the separation of Ringwood from the Shire of Lillydale and served as President of the Ringwood Progress League between 1920 and 1924.
James Bell McAlpin was elected onto the newly formed Ringwood Borough Council in 1924, which he retained until resigning due to health reasons in 1929.
The land that is now known as McAlpin Reserve was donated by the McAlpin Family and named in recognition of this gift and their commitment to Ringwood.
Today McAlpin Reserve is one of Maroondah’s larger parks and provides a range of activities for families and residents of Ringwood North.